It is clear from the earlier days of the Church, music played an important part in the worship. The organ was originally sited in the gallery but following the addition of the Chancel in 1886 an organ chamber was added and the organ moved to its position in the Chancel. In 1897 a robed choir was formed. In the PCC minutes were references to the life and the work of the organist and choir. The earlier organs required the services of the organ blower, who pumped the organ by hand, initials of a number of those blowers can still be seen carved in the organ chamber.
Some specific references to organist and choir: 1904/5 organist, books, surplices, blower and treats £33 5s 9d. 1915 organist salary £20 per annum, 1939 proposed special fund for the provision of cassocks for choir, October 1945 “That salaries of organist and organ blower to increased to £30 and £4 per annum.” 1946 -” Choirboys to be taken to circus – expenses from Church General Account.” 1949 “Vicar requests organist not to introduce more than one new hymn tune or chant at any service and such tune or chant to have been previously played at one of the services on the 5th Sunday evening.” St Paul’s Church became affiliated to the Royal School of Church Music on 30th June 1995.
In 1997 an Allen Electronic Organ was installed to replace the 1868 Wadsworth pipe organ, whose console has been placed in the gallery as an historic reminder of the position of the original organ. The pipes, soundboards and action of the Wadsworth instrument remain in place within the organ chamber.